Phinizy Swamp Nature park is free and open to the public 365 days a year from dawn until dusk. Our Swamp Shop and Visitor Center is open on Saturdays from 10 AM – 5 PM and Sundays from 11 AM – 5 PM. (Please note: The Swamp Shop will be closed on December 26th & 27th in observance of the holidays.) Free parking is located at the Nature Park’s main entrance.
Click here for directions to the park.
Located on 1100 acres with 14 miles of biking and hiking trails, and just minutes from downtown Augusta, Phinizy Swamp Nature Park offers visitors the chance to see a variety of wildlife such as Blue Heron, Red-Shouldered Hawk, Otter, Alligator and the elusive Bobcat in their natural setting. Visitors can experience the thrill of hearing Kingfisher and the chorus of a thousand Tree Frogs, or delight in the myriad of summer Dragonflies.
Be sure to check out our Events page to find out more about our free guided hikes and other ways that you can be involved here at the Park.
While none of the trails are paved, many are accessible to wheelchairs, strollers and bikes. Some trails are dirt-covered, others are graveled and some are in heavily wooded areas.
There are public restrooms onsite. These are located at the main parking area and at the Visitor Center and are accessible all hours that the park is open.
What to Bring
Binoculars, camera, hat, water, bug spray, and comfortable, closed-toe shoes. It’ll also be handy to have this tri-fold of the park, which includes a map — print it out or pick one up when you arrive!
Rules and Important Information
- All plant and animal life is protected in the Nature Park; please do not touch, remove, or disturb these natural resources.
- For your own protection, do not feed any of the Nature Park’s wildlife.
- The following are prohibited: motorized vehicles, hunting, fishing, littering, smoking, alcoholic beverages, fires, and firecrackers.
- Your leashed pets are welcome, but we ask that you clean up after them.
- Please do not sit or stand on the railings and fences of the bridges and boardwalks.
- Activity in a natural ecosystem such as Phinizy Swamp involves risks that cannot be eliminated by Phinizy Center for Water Sciences.